Hickory Smoke Jerky - For 5 Lbs. of Meat
Free Hickory Smoke Jerky Recipe
Whole-Muscle Jerky Recipe
5 lbs lean meat
4 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon curing salt
3 teaspoons AC Legg's hickory smoke flavoring or 1 1/2 teaspoons Eldon's liquid smoke
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon coriander seed, ground
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper
5 cups ice water
1. Cut away as much fat/tallow as possible from the jerky meat. The leaner the better.
2. Place the trimmed meat in the freezer for 2 to 3 hours , or until the meat is slightly frozen; remove from freezer.
3. Slice the meat into 1/4" to 38" thick slabs (at this point a protective glove is advised to help prevent accidents).
4. Slice the meat slabs into 1/4 to 3/8-inch thick strips.
5. Combine 5 lbs. of met strips and all remaining ingredients (except coarse-ground black pepper) in an ample size, non-metallic brining vessel; stir/mix well.
6. Refrigerate mixture/meat overnight (6 to 10 hours) to cure; continuing to stir periodically.
7. Next day, remove the cured jerky strips from the liquid brine and spread evenly on drying racks. Do not rinse strips!
8. Dry strips at 150 to 170 degrees in oven, smoker or dehydrator (checking occasionally for doneness) until jerky reaches desired degree of dryness; could be 5 to 24 hours depending on drying method used.